Men and Women’s Skin Comparison
Fun fact: Average male skin is about 20%-25% thicker than females. It contains more collagen, which makes it look tighter and firmer. However, since men have larger sebaceous glands and pores, they tend to have double production of sebum. Resulting in men having oilier skins compared to women.
Aside from that men’s skin has a higher risk of irritation, compared to women it is because men are required to shave their beards from time to time. The procedure of shaving tends to create more internal damage than what the naked eye could see, the friction during the procedure stressed the skin and gets rid of its top layer. Exposing a sensitive part of the skin is prone to irritation and infection.
Reasons Behind Oily Skin Amongst Men
Let’s all be enlightened by the possible causes of oily skin.
DHT also known as Dihydrotestosterone is considered one of the major factors that contribute to oily skin in men. It is made through the conversion of the commonly known testosterone, and almost 10% of it produced by an adult each day is converted to dihydrotestosterone. Which forces the sebaceous gland in producing sebum (oil).
Like many characteristics and features, having oily skin is something that can also be inherited from both parents. This just shows how overactive your sebaceous gland that causes oily skin and hair.
UV Ray Exposure
In taking care of our skin, one of the most basic and important ways is to protect it from the sun. Overexposure to UV rays not only contributes to the possibility of cancer, wrinkles, dark spots, and other skin problem but also boost skin oil production. Sun rays might make your skin dry temporarily but it triggers an injury response, that leads your sebaceous gland to secrete more oil to help hydrate and lubricate the skin.
Change in Weather
The inconsistency and sudden change of weather directly affect the skin. Places with hot and humid weather help increase the level of your skin’s oil production. Individuals who happened to live in places with the weather as such is more likely to have oily skin.
DOs and DON’Ts For Men with Oily Skin
Here are some tips on what and not to do for oil skin.
- Do Wash Your Face Before and After Sleeping - Cleansing your skin is a must, especially for oily skin types. This helps in getting rid of impurities, dirt, and excess oil, but it also prevents pores from clogging. Make sure to use a face wash that combats oil and shine but doesn’t strip the skin’s natural oils, it is highly suggested that you opt for an Oil control cleanser to remove excess sebum, prevent acne and breakouts, and balances the ph level of the skin.
- Do Remember to Wear Sunscreen - As mentioned overexposure to the sun directly damages the skin, sunscreen protects your skin from harmful UV rays. A broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 is highly recommended for blemish-prone and oily skin. Make sure to apply a generous amount of sunscreen and don’t forget to reapply every two hours, especially when going for a swim or playing outdoors sweating.
- Do Gently Treat Your Skin - Always choose products that are compatible with your skin, and avoid putting so many different products that are unnecessary to your needs. Cleansing and Shaving daily is a great grooming practice, however, it takes a toll on your skin, make sure to do it as gently as possible.
- Don’t Forget Your Moisturizer - Contrary to other people's belief having oily skin does not mean that you can skip moisturizing. When you don’t put in moisturizer, there is a possibility that your skin will produce more oils to compensate for the lack of moisture. Always moisturize and make sure to pick one that is well formulated to your skin type.
- Don’t Sleep with Dirty Pillowcase - You spend at least eight hours in your bed, face resting on a pillow. That piece of cloth absorbs dirt, and grease, over time they will build up, which may most likely result in skin irritation. Change your pillowcase regularly, to keep your freshly washed face clean. As much as possible switch your pillowcase every other night, and when given an opportunity with possible sales make sure to invest in them for that clean and glowing skin.
- Don’t Skip Skin Cleansing After Exercise - Aside from the morning and evening routine cleansing, it is highly recommended that cleansing after exercise should be practiced. Most especially when you don’t have plans on showering soon, it is to eliminate sweat, oil, and dirt that you may have acquired while exercising. You can just simply wash your face and put on some moisturizer after. The sooner you do this after exercising, the better.
Gentlehomme’s Easy Skincare Tips For Men
An easy guide for all the guys wanting to achieve that clear glowing skin, together with highly recommended products from Gentlehomme.
1. Cleanse Twice A Day
The primary step in every skincare routine is cleansing, this should be done before starting the day and after ending it.
2. Gently Exfoliate Once or Twice A Week
To control excess sebum exfoliating is suggested, aside from that it also helps eliminate impurities and dead surface skin that are often the reason behind the pores clogging.
FACE WASH BOOSTER
Gentlehomme Face Wash Booster is a 2-in-1 exfoliator and cleanser specifically formulated for men, guaranteeing the feeling of clean and refreshed skin after application.
3. Followed By Toner
Apply after washing the face to smoothen and calm skin while restoring nutrients. Toner is not only responsible for balancing the skin’s ph level after cleansing, but it also balances the complexion for a less oil complexion.
4. Apply Retinol
For that refined pores, everyone is so crazy about don’t forget to include retinol in your daily skincare routine. It increases cell and collagen production, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Choose those low-concentration products, to help your skin be familiarized with the retinol.
RETINOL COMPLEX SERUM
Gentlehomme Retinol Complex Serum for men has advanced hydration formula with hyaluronic acid, collagen, and aloe vera for anti-wrinkle and firming of the face. It has vitamin B6 acting as an antioxidant for the skin and the product is compatible with all skin types.
5. Go For Oil-Free Moisturizer
Every skin type needs moisture because having a strong moisture barrier help keep acne-causing bacteria away from pores. Never forget to moisturize before and after your day. Simply because, the more dehydrated the skin is, the more it produces oil.
COLLAGEN FACE MOISTURIZER
Genthlehomme Collagen Face Moisturizer is an age-defying and skin-reviving facial cream for men, made from nourishing ingredients. It contains argan oil to counter oily skin, for that zero wrinkles and tightened skin.
6. Clay Mask to Purify
Clays mask is used to purify and remove excess oil away from pores. This replenishes your skin with antioxidants making your skin look nourished and radiant. This deep cleansing can be done once or twice a week.
ADVANCED COLLAGEN MASK
Gentlehomme Advanced Collagen Mask soothes and smooths your skin in a snap. Provides anti-oxidation and daily hydration with rice ceramides. Rich in vitamins and various minerals.
BE IN CONTROL, AND SAY OILY SKIN NO MORE
More often than not insecurities are fostered by skin imperfections, thus causing individuals to lose their confidence. Fear not for with the modern technology of today easy fixes are everywhere to be found, one just needs to find the right products and exact routine that is compatible with your skin, to help bring back that belief and control over one’s capabilities Gentlehomme shares with you a must-have guide in men face wash for oily skin. If you have questions regarding our products contact us through our Contact Form or call us at +1-424-290-1860